Events & Meetings
- 07May—Chapter Event – Field Trip Grand Cayman!
- 06Aug—Chapter Meeting & Presentation
- 03Dec—Chapter Event – Meeting & Holiday Party
About the Explorers Club
The Explorers Club is an international multidisciplinary, professional society dedicated to the advancement of field research and scientific exploration, and the ideal that it is vital to preserve the instinct to explore. Since its inception in 1904 , the Club has served as a meeting point and unifying force for explorers and scientists worldwide. In addition to its headquarters building at 46 East 70th Street in New York, the Club has some 30 regional chapters in the United States and abroad.
Promoting Exploration Since 1904
The Explorers Club promotes the scientific exploration of land, sea, air and space by sponsoring, assisting and encouraging research and education in the physical, natural and biological sciences. The Club offers a number of financial grants and awards and offers assistance to members in expedition planning. The Explorers Club actively encourages public interest in exploration and the sciences through its public lectures program, publications, travel program, and other events. The Club also maintains a library and map room to assist those interested and engaged in exploration and scientific research.
Anthropologists to Zoologists
The Explorers Club is characterized by the great diversity of its members’ backgrounds and interests. The seven founding members included two polar explorers, the curator of birds and mammals at The American Museum of Natural History, an archaeologist, a war correspondent and author, a professor of physics and an ethnologist. Today the membership includes field scientists and explorers from over 60 countries whose disciplines include: aeronautics, anthropology, archaeology, astronomy, biology, ecology, entomology, mountaineering, marine biology, oceanography, paleontology, physics, planetology, polar exploration, and zoology. The Explorers Club has many chapters throughout the United States and abroad. You can find out more about what our members are doing in the news & research pages or by visiting members’ web pages linked to this site.
History of The Explorers Club
The year was 1904. The spirit of exploration was running high. Theodore Roosevelt, America’s premier adventurer President, was still in the White House. The Wright Brothers’ flying machine was barely off the ground; air travel was years away from reducing the globe to an accessible sphere. A few explorers determined to reach the North Pole had captured the imagination of the Western world. Many geographic regions remained undiscovered. Spurred by the challenges of reaching the unreachable and the scientific desire to pry from the earth its long-held secrets, a hardy band of gentleman-adventurers came together to form The Explorers Club in New York City.
The idea began with Henry Collins Walsh, an author and war correspondent who had sailed with Frederick A. Cook’s 1894 Arctic expedition aboard the ill-fated SS Miranda. On their return to New York, Walsh and his fellow survivors, eager to “keep green their friendship,” organized the Arctic Club, which came to embrace nearly every prominent polar explorer in the United States and abroad. So successful was it that a core of its members, together with friends who had explored in other regions, decided to found the more inclusive Explorers Club. The charter members were a diverse group representing a myriad of interests and walks of life. Their stated mission: “promote exploration by all possible means.”
Incorporated in 1905, The Explorers Club in its earliest years met in simple rented rooms. Its first four presidents were famed Arctic explorers Adolphus W. Greely, Cook, Robert E. Peary and David L. Brainard. Under Brainard in 1912, the Club found a permanent home in a loft on Amsterdam Avenue. There, members began holding regular meetings and gala dinners and assembling the books, maps, trophies and memorabilia that would grow into a remarkable library and museum of exploration and travel. Returning explorers and visiting scientists were invited to share their experiences in public and member lectures. By the 1920s, the Club was aiding serious exploration and field science.
In 1965, the Club purchased a Tudor-style mansion on East 70th Street, in the historic Upper East Side. With its twin-arched façade of brick and limestone, leaded glass windows and carved oak interiors, the Lowell Thomas building, named for the noted explorer and broadcaster, has become the physical symbol of the Club’s high purposes, embodying the history of exploration and the passionate quest for new knowledge.
Explorer’s Club Charter
Since 1904, our international, professional society has been a meeting point and unifying force for explorers and scientists worldwide. The Explorers Club is dedicated to the advancement of field research, scientific exploration, and the ideal that it is vital to preserve the instinct to explore. We foster these goals by providing expedition planning assistance, research grants, educational lectures and publications, and exciting adventure travel programs.
Depuis 1904, notre société internationale et professionnelle se veut un point de rencontre et une force unificatrice pour les explorateurs et les scientifiques à l’échelle internationale. Le Explorers Club se consacre au progrès de l’étude sur le terrain, à l’exploration scientifique et à la croyance selon laquelle il est essentiel de préserver l’instinct d’exploration. Nous promouvons l’atteinte de ces objectifs en fournissant du soutien à la planification d’expéditions, en octroyant des subventions, mais également au moyen de conférences et de publications éducatives ainsi que de programmes de tourisme d’aventure palpitants.